These are unedited transcripts and may contain errors.

NRO/RIR reports

Friday, 16 May, 2014, at 9 a.m.:

NIGEL HICKSON: Yes, we are about to start the red?eye session, so please
find a seat. And good morning, everyone. Welcome back. Welcome to the
opening of the closing date of RIPE 68. It's been a very intensive and
in/SREUG rating and impressive week, I think. Before we start, I just
wanted to send a personal note of thanks back home to our support team, I
think that those of you who don't see the people behind the scenes, they are
excellent so thank you all, wherever you are. And secondly I want to give a
personal note of thanks to Rob, I have worked with him for over ten years
and I have learned lot, it's been fun and challenging but I am going to be
sorry to see him go and I wish him well.

That is it from me, we have got a line?up today from reports from our
colleagues at the other RIRs and first up will be Adiel Akplogan from
AfriNIC. I did see him in the room. Adiel, I am going to call you up to
the stage, if you are ready. And this is the Chief Executive Officer of

ADIEL AKPLOGAN: Thank you very much. The room is full. Good. We will
give you a brief update of what we are doing at AfriNIC, some of the
interesting things we are doing, and the way we ?? I mean, many other things
?? similar to what is happening in the RIPE region, maybe in smaller scale,
but let's start.

As you may know, in 2013, last year, we have adopted a new by law which has
changed a little bit of how we operate, has added a new structure, as well.
The structure has slightly changed. We have removed the alternate director
which were elected before, to have only one director but we keep the
original distribution of the directors and, in addition to that, we add two
non?regional board member who are also elected but nominated to the
nomination committee. The objective was to bring in some diversity within
the board and for the board, sometimes, to identify competences that they
need so those people would be elected on original basis.

So this has been implemented since last year so we are in the process of
moving from those alternate board member to primary board member. We have
until next year to get rid of all the alternates. We have introduced in our
by law the associate membership, member who do not have either LIR or end
user but who want to become AfriNIC member just to participate and
contribute. So this has been added to the by law. We have formally add the
ability to vote electronically on election.

And all of this have start been implemented since June 2013, our first AGM.

We have also launched the African Internet submit. This is something that
we used to do in June during meeting with AFNOG, which is the African
network operator group. Back to back with our policy development meeting.
We have noticed that this meeting was getting more and more momentum and
there were new organisation that want to join the meeting, so instead of
making it only pure technical meeting, we have extended the scope to allow
any other organisation linked to Internet governance or any other aspect
related to the Internet, to join the meeting. So we changed the name of the
event to Africa Internet submit, but within the submit, we have our
different meeting.

The first one was last year in Lusaka and we have more than 400 participants
and it was very well attended, with more than 12 separate sessions running
in parallel during the week.

Besides that, we have other interesting projects. Some are similar to what
is happening in RIPE region, we have the RPKI, we have launched our own DNS
Anycast service, which we use for our own DNS infrastructure but we provide
a service as well to ccTLD in the region. We have started the formal
clean?up of our Whois database, following a policy proposal that kind of
proposed to member to clean up the information in the database, so it was
suggested that AfriNIC ask people to do it voluntarily first and see what
the result would be, before going into and enforcing policy. So that has to
cost a little bit work last year. We are going to report that to the
community this year. We believe that the policy will still be needed
because the result, the outcome of the voluntarily clean?up was very low.

We have also worked on routing registry for the region. It is completed and
being tested right now. Probably, will be formally operational by the end
of this year. We also working on new Whois, based on the RIPE Java code, to
replace the old Whois that we are using, which was also based on previous
RIPE Whois.

We are building a new LIR enrollment portal, which will be a way for LIR to
get, to become member and get their resources but with more automated
process upfront. This will help those new member, but also kind of remove
some of the paperwork or evaluation part of the IP analyst.

In term of growth, membership growth, we can see a continuous growth in our
membership over the past few years, and as you can see, mainly in small
category of membership and end user particularly.

We also launched in 2013 our new strategic planning process. This start
with the members survey that we have and was followed by a board retreat in
January this year. The first drafts is being finalised and will be
published soon for comment, and we will discuss that during AfriNIC 20, our
next meeting. During the board retreat in Mauritius we had opportunity, as
well, to welcome RIPE NCC board member and we had a joint meeting with them
which has been very useful for our board. And for RIPE board as well, where
?? because we had opportunity to exchange a few information and business
practices, as well.

Policy side, not that much happened this year or this phase of policy
discussion. There are a few policy withdrawn since the last meeting, a few
abandoned as well. The only policy that is still there is the one on
special rule for high education network, for allocation to them. Two
policies were ratified but still pending, they are full implement /TAEURBGS
just because we are moving away from the current Whois (their) system and we
implementing those new policies in the new Whois instead.

So, yeah, the database clean?up policy is on hold but I think it will be
reopened soon.

We are also actively engaged in global Internet governance issue. We have a
few global events or global discussion that we are engaged with, ICANN of
course, working with all the other RIR through the NRO with the ITU. You
may be aware we have signed this week an MoU with ITU to work together on
raising awareness around IPv6. We also support IGP special regional in our
region. There are five regional IGF that take place every year, we provide
them support and sponsorship. We have also closed the watch, NetMundial and
participating there as well, and beside that in, terms of capacity building,
we have been doing a lot lately, not only for technical capacity but we are
now providing a little bit more training to policy makers and
decision?makers because we have found out that, generally, the information
doesn't cross to the top so we are trying to raise the awareness at that
level as well.

So, globally, how ?? what is the critical number to know about AfriNIC: We
have, up?to?date we have about 38 full?time staff. Number allocation is
growing in the region. In 2014 alone, we have already allocated more than
20,000 /24 address compared to 26,000 for whole of 2013, which is for us is
a big increase. We still have three, more than three /8 in our pool. In
term of IPv6, we have about 30% of our members who also have an IPv6
allocation or assignment, unfortunately where we are not seeing a lot of
progress is their visibility. They have it but they are not all deploying

We serve 1100 member, active member, and about 350 legacy resource holders.

This is the map of where we have been conducting training in the region over
the past few years. The map is almost green now because there are a few
other countries that has been added to this.

In terms of IPv6, this is also an interactive map that we start publishing
on our website, six spot dot AfriNIC .net, gives an idea of where IPv6 is
allocated and you can click on each country and know what ?? how it is
allocated, since when it is visible or not.

We have also launched the IPv6 task force through which we have conducted a
few web /TPHARs. It's a new initiative that we have launched last year.

I have to move very quickly. This is the statistics from our last AfriNIC
19 meeting that we had in abJudge. One of the interesting things is that
the very fast increasing participation to our meeting, I think that stand
alone meeting in November has been break all our records. We have more than
390 participants to the meeting.

So, you are invited to our next African Internet submit that will take place
first week of June in Djibouti, back to back with AfriNIC 20 but with other
events as well, of a NOG, ARFIN, there will be AFRALO and many our events.
More information is available on the websites, Internet submit Africa dot
org. I would be happy to answer any questions. No. Thank you.

NICK HYRKA: Thank you, Adiel. Next up, we have Paul Wilson from APNIC, the
director general.

PAUL WILSON: Good morning. Thank you, Nick. Good morning everyone. How
long do I have?

NICK HYRKA: Nine minutes.

PAUL WILSON: Nine minutes. Easy. This is the regular red eye report for
Friday morning at the RIPE meeting. Thanks again to RIPE for the slot that
we are given here and the time that we are given to present to you all.

Do I get to press a button here? Seven minutes. OK. What does APNIC do,
we are the RIR for Asia Pacific. We report on in terms of three different
areas of ac, serving our members, supporting the Internet in our region and
collaborating more broadly with the community around the world.

Our vision is for a global open stable and secure Internet that serves the
entire Asia Pacific community.

And we have info graphics as well that put all of this in the context of the
broader Internet ecosystem and you can find all of this on our website.

Starting with service to members, I will just give you some details here
about APNIC membership, about IPv4 and IPv6 activities. Our IPv6
delegations on an annual basis are kind of continuing to slide downwards.
We figure we have got enough IPv6 out there in the community already and
people are less in need of addresses, just more in need of doing something
with the addresses.

On the IPv4 delegations, we are now into the last /8 policy and we are
allocating something like 150 or so every month to our membership. The size
of those allocations is between a /24 and a /22. And we are expecting soon
to receive another allocation of addresses from the IANA, once the ?? once
LACNIC hits their/9 in the remaining pool and then we will have another
spate of allocations because we will be allocating yet another up to a /22
to anyone to, even if they have already have and /22 they can get another
one from that second pool.

The other area of activity that is increasing is IPv6 ?? IPv4 transfers, so
we refer to these as market transfers as opposed to the administrative
transfers which are sort of also normal level of activity, and they are
going up to around about heading up towards 20 per month, one a day. We are
looking at both Inter?RIR transfers here, which all come from ARIN, and
intra?RIR transfers within the APNIC region.

On autonomous system numbers, we are continuing to allocate two byte rather
slowly and 4 byte are being taken up in a reasonable volume these days, so
we have close to 20004 byte ASNs out there and something towards about half
of them are routed so we don't seem to have problems in our region with
actually making use of these, which is nice.

On membership, we are just over 4,000 members, these days, and you can see
here our membership split up into different categories, from the very small
to the extra large, heading up to 4,000, beyond 4,000. We are expecting to
have something like 1,000 new members during the course of this year.

APNIC has got national Internet registries so if you look at approximately
4,000 members serve directly by APNIC, we have, in addition, towards 3,000
ISPs in total who are served via the NIRs, split there between China,
Indonesia, India, Japan, Korea and Taiwan.

Moving on to what we do in support of the Internet in the region, we are
gathered together a bunch of activities here which I will mention very
briefly, policy development, IPv6, training, our events, some infrastructure
support work and projects for R and D, grants ?? IPv6 is stale very active
area of promotion and support in our region. We have just continual
outreach events which are often inter?governmental sort of meetings where we
are presenting on the need for IPv6. We have something called the Asia
Pacific IPv6 task force which APNIC provides a secretariat for and they have
regular meetings at our meetings and elsewhere, and we are reaching out
trying to elevate beyond the traditional ISP community to reach out to
decision?makers at businesses in Internet dependent businesses to talk to
them about how they can understand the need for IPv6.

Moving on to training. We have a series of different styles of training
events: We have training ?? we have trainings, we have workshops, we have
e?learning, we have a virtual lab, we have physical equipment that we carry
around the place, this is a selection of the or a view of the distribution
of training events around our region, in the last six months or so. We are
expanding the scope very slowly, of the audience of our training in response
to demand, so the area that we are serving these days in addition is what we
call the justice sector, which is another word for law enforcement agents
but we find the justice sector is the term that we use for a broader legal
and enforcement orientated community that we serve there.

We have two events a year, of course. We like AfriNIC, as you heard just
knew, our events have become kind of a submit for the Asia Pacific
community. We gather together with APT L T, API X, what we call the AP star
community and we had our 20th birthday party in Xi'an in China last year, we
met this year in Malaysia. We have got also regional meetings, again
following in the footsteps of RIPE NCC, we are having regional meetings
around the region around four times a year, so the next one is coming up in
Bangladesh just after this meeting.

Infrastructure development, NOGs, IXP, IXs, around the region that we are
doing a fair bit of work there. Often in conjunction with technical
workshops which are being held around the place.

ISIF and seed are the two grants programmes that we are involved with. The
second one is joint across three RIRs, so APNIC, LACNIC and AfriNIC together
are receiving money from this part of the world actually, from Swedish ??
SIDA ?? seed Swedish for distribution of about one?and?a?half million
dollars over three years to technical Internet orientated R and D projects
around our respective regions.

Collaboration, more broadly, we have a pretty exhaustive approach to
strategic engagement, these days. Technical community, governmental
community and what we call the multi?stakeholder community, which is a very
active area of our engagement with the entire community more broadly about
the aspects of Internet governance, aspects of APNIC's activities and so

We are going to be mobilised along with the other RIRs over the coming year
on this question of the IANA transition, so of course, we are part of the
month video statement last year, the EC, the APNIC board has supported that
strongly with a statement of our intent on the IANA transition. We have had
Internet governance sessions during our meetings and we are going to
continue those in order to implement that consultation process that we saw
launched here during this week. We are, again, following in the footsteps
of RIPE NCC, the RIPE community with a proposal now to establish a
cooperation special?interest group at the APNIC meetings from the next
meeting onwards.

And you are all invited to the next two APNIC conferences, we have got one
coming up in my home city of Brisbane in September. We have got APRICOT
2015 which is the major operational submit meeting happening in Japan in
February/March next year, and that is a submit that actually pulls in Asia
Pacific advanced Internet as well as the APNIC meeting and all the rest. So
I hope to see you there, and if there are any questions, I am happy to talk
now or later. Thanks.

NICK HYRKA: Thank you, Paul, thank you for the sunshine that you bring us.
Now, next up we have Aaron, and ?? ARIN update and that is being done by
Aaron Hughes from the ARIN board of trustees, welcome.

AARON HUGHES: Good morning, on the ARIN board of trustees. Here to give an
RIR update on the ARIN region which includes Canada, United States and 22 of
the 27 Caribbean islands.

So the 2014 focus for the ARIN RIR is of course certainly the v4 depletion
and the v6 adoption trends. We have been walking through the ARIN's v4
count down plan and of course continuing to do v6 outreach, and preparing
for and seeing the increase in v4 transfer space. We have got a new focus
on an increased focus on customer service, so many of you may know that we
brought back on Richard gymer son specifically focused on working more on a
customer care and we completed this year our first ARIN customer
satisfaction survey, some of the results were given at the last RIR meeting
and working through more details and more analysis of that data.

We have continued to focus on development and integrate for web?based
functionality so that is the whole suite of the ARIN on?line toolset, Whois
data, rest based information, etc.. and of course, we have focused on
Internet governance and governance forums.

So some of the trends we have been seeing this year, as many of you know we
went down past our final /8 this year so we have seen a big increase in v4
requests in the past 12 months, over the past 12 months prior. V4 requests
are becoming increasingly complex and this is due to the nature of how
people are requesting space, where they are located, not fitting into the
standard, number resource policy manual and having to require some more due
diligence and lots of back and forth conversation to validate requests.

And there is certainly also a lot more out of region requests and these are
becoming increasingly difficult to justify.

Operational improvements this year, there is a new on?line video series,
there is additional videos and development. We have got more ARIN on the
road trainings so these are a small sort of mini version of ARIN where we go
to a smaller outlying cities, some of these are joint with small NANOG on
the roads as well. We have one of these coming up actually in a couple of
weeks in Anchorage, Alaska. And we have seen quite success from them.
There is additional functionality and tools being developed based on
community requests, so we have taken all the development requests and of
course executing. And as mentioned on a previous slide the customer
satisfaction survey, we are doing more follow?up based on what we have seen
from the results of that survey.

The current v4 inventory, this is as I believe last night, .87 /8s left in
the free pool. We have approximately 8 /16s that are sitting in quarentine
so those are returned, revoked or held space and we have one /10 in reserve
that is for the purpose of transitioning to v6. And about 230 micro

So ISP members with v4 and v6, you can see this is clearly trending as would
you expect, v4 going down into the right and v6 going up into the right.
This was four years ago. As you can see, about an 80/20 split in this, now
about a 60 /40 split in the inverse.

Market transfers, we are seeing obviously going up. This is 71 transfers
have been completed in, within the ARIN region, to specified recipients and
24 transfers completed for intra?RIR, ARIN to APNIC thus far.

RPKI usage is seeing good trending up to the right, this is statistics over
the last three years, a year?and?a?half, you can see a a significant pick?up
in RPKI and there are two delegations services available through ARIN
on?line that have not yet been used yet but you can see where people are
primarily focused.

Policy proposals on the docket. There are quite a few of them, a great deal
of them are related to clean?up of language and some still a little bit of
v4 policy clean?up and a couple of pieces that have been cleaned up or
removed are no longer valid based on the amount of v4 resources available.
Some related to registry accuracy and some that have come up related
primarily to v4 transfers.

And there is actually a bunch of new ones that came up at the last meeting
that are not on this list.

ARIN policy meetings that are up and coming, the next one is actually in a
couple of weeks in Bellevue Washington, and that is a PB C at NANOG, and
then there is one actually the following couple of days later in Anchorage,
Alaska as an on?the?road and then of course our meeting that is separate
from NANOG in Baltimore in October, and that is it for the ARIN RIR update.
Anybody have any questions? Lovely.

NICK HYRKA: Thank you. Thank you, Aaron. Next up we have got a virtual
presentation from LACNIC, it's a LACNIC update and presented by Elisa
Peirano, she is an Internet resources number analyst ?? you click and we go.

ELISA PEIRANO: Good morning, I work as Hostmaster at LACNIC and I will be
presenting the update for our region. We will be starting with the
membership update. Up to the 7th of May we have 3633 members, as you can
see in the chart. Members from ?? and Mexico are included in the chart.
Regarding IPv4 assignments allocation, the first chart shows how much of /8
we have consumed per month during our year, and the second chart shows the
accumulated consumption of /8 for same period. We have allocated almost 2.5

A fall of our ?? of all of our members 2390 have IPv6 blocks assigned or
allocated, which represents 65%. In comparison with the last two years, in
2012 we have allocated 578 IPv6, in 2013, 670 and so far in 2014 we have
allocated 371.

Currently, we have a little over 9 million available IPv4 addresses. We
think that in about a month we will be reaching our last /10. When we reach
the last /10, a couple of new policies will be triggered. One of the/11s
will be used for soft landing and will be used for new members. An ISP will
be able to receive a /22 and an end user will be able to receive from a /24
to a /22.

In order to raise awareness of IPv4 exhaustion and to help with the
transition to IPv6, LACNIC staff organisational and governments in our

Our resources assigned or allocation, in the chart on the left you can see
the number of prefixes assigned which is 1432 and in the chart on the right
you can see the percentage of IPv4 space covered by ?? taking into account
the announced space. This percentage is 17 .7.

Is the capacity building project specifically designed for heighty and near
to the country's needs, contribute to building capacity for professionals in
the fields of the ICT. The next workshop will be held in August this year.

This is a picture taken in last year's workshop.

From the 4th to the 9th of May, LACNIC 21 meeting was held in Cancun Mexico.
Five policies were discussed and only two reached consensus.

The date and place for our next meeting, LACNIC 22 is to be determined.

LACNIC's CEO will continue in his role within the organisation until the
30th of June. Then ?? will be temporarily in charge until the new executive
director takes over. Also last year LACNIC was certified to ISO 9001.2008
and we ranked second in the great place to work award.

That is it. Thank you for your attention. We are sorry we couldn't be
there personal and congratulations to RIPE for its 25 years.

NICK HYRKA: Thank you very much. And all our best to Rauel. Now we move
on to the NRO executive council update, and Adiel, we welcome you back up.
Adiel is the Chief Executive Officer at AfriNIC.

ADIEL AKPLOGAN: The room is filling up, slowly. So, I want to tell you now
on NRO EC update. As you may know, the NRO is the number resource
organisation and is the framework within which we work together as RIR
globally. And also, is the ? within the ICANN ecosystem. So last year, we
have revisited a little bit our mission, vision and all, and that what is
displayed there is our mission, our new mission, obviously.

So we exist since 2003, October, precisely. An unincorporated organisation
so very lightweight, we do most of the things through collaboration and
cooperation among our different activity areas. One of the things that is
dear to us is to continue as RIR collectively to coordinate Internet number
registry system. That is the core of our business, providing accurate
registration data and that is something that we are spending a lot of effort
in. We also work hard to continue to promote the multi?stakeholder and
bottom up development process, coordinating during activity as I mentioned
before, to the RIR system and finally serve as the address supporting
organisation within ICANN and there is an MoU sign with ICANN for that

This is the same thing as before, but one aspect here is also our very close
monitoring of Internet governance discussion. I think you have followed
yesterday in your cooperation group the discussions specifically about the
IANA transition and this is something that we are closely following because
one aspect of IANA function is directly linked to our business, so we are
putting a lot of effort in this and also following all the other discussion
related to Internet governance in other forum like the ITU.

And NRO in 2014, I am the Chair of the NRO this year as AfriNIC because we
have a rotatetive officer position, Axel is the secretary, Raul the
treasurer, Paul and John are just members. And next year it will change,
Axel will become the Chair, Rajoul, the treasurer, I mean LACNIC, and Paul
will become the treasurer. Last year, we have recruited a full?time staff,
German Valdez, acting the executive secretary right now and his role mainly
is to coordinate all our activities and follow up with our different
coordination groups, because the NRO work mainly, I mean operationally
through what we call cooperation ?? we have communication coordination
group, the engineers coordination group, the public affair, IPv6
registration service. So, German try to coordinate those different groups
and make sure that there is a proper communication among them.

The ASO and NRO, the ASO is the NRO only within ICANN contests it is called
ASO and outside the NRO, that is the simple way that I can describe it. The
ASO then within the ICANN framework, has the role to oversee global number
resource policy development, mainly, appoint two director into the ICANN
board, appoint representative to serve in various committees or Working
Group that ICANN creates and, time by time, advise ICANN board on number
resource matters, so depending on requests coming from the ICANN board.

The address council is composed of 15 members, elected by the five RIR,
three from each RIR, one of them being appointed or elected by the board.
So this is the composition of the ASO?AC in 2014, and from RIPE region we
have those three representatives, Filiz, Dimitry and Wilfried.

The AC is chaired by lieuy from ARIN region and they have two vice Chair, we
have Naresh from the APNIC region, I think, and Alan Barrett from AfriNIC
region, they are the two vice Chairs of the ASO?AC. We have some cost as
well. We define a budget every year that covers some of our coordination
activities, travel for our new executive secretary and for the ASO as well.
Our budget this year is around $400,000. We also contribute to ICANN
$823,000 every year, that is a fixed amount. And the budget is split among
us. We have a formula that is based on the registration service revenue, on
which we share our costs.

Internet governance forum, we as I mentioned, we follow this thing very
closely. We have two member from our community, Paul Wilson and Paul
Rendek, the two Pauls. They are member of the multi?stakeholder advisory
group of the IGF. We have participated actively to the BallyIGF and
prepared to for the next one coming as well. We provide financial support
to the IGF 100,000 dollars to the secretary and we are committed to do the
same this year.

We have ?? we jointly issue statements, communication on various occasions
so these are the few, the most recent one is in relation to the ICANN
consultation on the IANA transition. So all these correspondence are
publicly available so you can have a look.

Some other activities: We have our retreat this year in Dubai, March, where
we discussed several cooperation activities and also our positioning in the
Internet governance evolution, RPKI project, how do we coordinate this
project better. And how do we reinforce our relationship with ICANN. These
are some global engagement activity, ICANN, the ASO presentation and also
meeting that we have at each ICANN meeting with the ICANN board. We have
the I?STAR collaboration where we also engage with our other partner from
the Internet governance observing co?system, especially the technical
community, NetMundial you all know we had that meeting recently where the
NRO actively participated with member from our community involved with the
different committees set up for NetMundial, and we have also the one net,
which is still trying to reinforce it only the identity. So globally the
NRO is very well engaged globally, and our goal is to continue these
engagements, but also position the NRO as the real umbrella that represents
the area, especially in this very changing environment of Internet

That is it about the NRO and the report. Any questions?

AUDIENCE SPEAKER: Sandra Murphy, Parsons. A while back, the NRO sent a
communication to ICANN concerning discussion of the operation of the global
route to the RPKI and I like to ask at every meeting what is the ?? what the
status is, is their progress still ongoing, and I would be happy to hear
when it's going to end but that is probably not going to happen.

ADIEL AKPLOGAN: Yes there are some operational work going on with that with
ICANN to look at how this will work. Our statement at the time was that we
want ICANN to be ?? not IANA, but ICANN, we were very precise in that
communication, to be the Trust Anchor. With the recent evolution, we have
asked that to be put on hold, some discussions are still going to make sure
that the way this is done is in line with what the community wants. I know
that, for instance, near RIPE region, there has been some requests or
questions to put on hold some of the work toward the single Trust Anchor.
Some other area, some other region are working on this, continue working on
this to make sure they set up in the implementation at the ICANN level and
what we have already in place can be interoperable. So the discussions are
still going on but the final decision to launch a single Trust Anchor run by
ICANN, is not finalised yet, and we hope that soon that will be done.

AUDIENCE SPEAKER(Sandra Murphy): So, to be clear, you said with the recent
evolution, was that a reference to the NTIA announcement?

ADIEL AKPLOGAN: No, not only, but due to some of the reserve made by the
RIPE community, for instance, where we ?? which has made this. And globally
as well, we have highlighted something to ICANN, the fact that we want to
see ICANN as a global organisation, we want to make sure that this single
Trust Anchor doesn't put our whole ecosystem at risk because of the
structure of ICANN right now so ICANN is looking at that to make sure that
he provide all the guarantee and the assurance to the community that the
single Trust Anchor hosted by them doesn't, you know, put the whole system
at risk.

AUDIENCE SPEAKER: OK. And you said that progress has been put on hold, is
that correct?

ADIEL AKPLOGAN: Yeah, I mean ?? yeah, as I mentioned, we ?? where we were
in the time frame was to test, to have a test?bed with ICANN to test
conceptually the single Trust Anchor. That is continuing with RIR but not
all of the RIR but it's beginning right now.

AUDIENCE SPEAKER: I see. Thank you.

NICK HYRKA: Great. Thank you.

Thank you, Adiel. Next up, following NRO, we have got statistics report
from Ingrid Wijte from the RIPE NCC registration services, she is the
assistant manager.

INGRID WIJTE: Good morning. From RIPE NCC. And I will be presenting this
report, the RIRs together compile this every quarter and this report is from
the end of March.

This is the total inventory of IPv4 address space. 91 /8s help central
registry which is the address space that was issued before the RIRs were put
in place. 45 are reserved by the technical community for special purposes.
130 are held by the five RIRs together and here you see that IANA has zero
/8s available, which is not entirely the case; they have about 1.2 /8, which
/ has been returned by the RIRs, that IANA will distribute once the first
/ RIR reaches/9, and regarding that, this is the remainder of the address
/ space that each RIR holds. AfriNIC still has over three /8s, and RIPE NCC
/ and APNIC have less than a /8. LACNIC is probably going quickly towards
/ the /9 so in the near future each RIR should be getting some new address
/ space from IANA.

How much did each RIR issue per year:

As you can see, APNIC and RIPE NCC had some peaks in 1211, '12 and a bit in
'13. And LACNIC is now the RIR issuing most address space and already in
the first quarter of 2014 they almost issued half of what they issued in

This is a brief overview of the previous of all the /8s that were already
issued. And moving on to AS numbers. RIPE NCC is still the RIR issuing
most AS numbers, followed closely by ARIN and then APNIC.

In total, RIPE NCC issued almost 29,000 and ARIN, 26, and APNIC follows with
almost 10,000.

Regarding 4 byte ASN, RIPE NCC also in that area is issuing most, and at
this moment about 70% of the AS numbers that we issue are 4 byte. LACNIC
issues quite a bit as well, almost one?third of their ASes per year are 4
byte ASN. The other regions are a little bit slower, especially ARIN and

With regards to IPv6 address space, every RIR got a /12 in 2006 from which
we are now allocating and assigning address space. And you can see here
that in 2013, the RIPE NCC had an all time peak and that is probably due to
the fact that in order to get a last /22 from the last /8, a member must
already have some v6.

In total, we have issued almost 7,500 IPv6 allocations, which is about 70%
of our entire membership.

IPv6 assignments, RIPE NCC started issuing in 2009, and has quickly taken
over the leading position there, which continues into this year. And you
can see here that we have issued over 1,600 v6 assignments and ARIN, almost
1,700. And then, finally, this is the percentage of members in all RIRs
that have both v4 and v6, as I mentioned almost 70% of our membership has
both, and in LACNIC it's also across the 50%, to now at 65. The other RIRs
are still a little bit below 50% of their membership.

All the raw data can be found at this URL and I am happy to take any

NICK HYRKA: Thank you.

And the next up on our roster we have got the IANA update from Elise Gerich,
she is vice?president and technical operations, welcome back.

ELISE GERICH: I have time, good. Good morning, and the room has filled up
quite a bit and happy 25th anniversary to RIPE. Just so, you know, I was
at the fifth meeting so I missed your first five but certainly glad to be at
your 25th.

Everybody else has been talking a bit about numbers, what I am going to talk
about is what the IANA functions have been doing. So, this is our agenda,
we have done some audits. We have some performance reports that are
available on?line, delegation of new gTLDs, typically I think the RIPE
community's is less interested in that but I thought I would mention it, for
the DNSSEC key signing ceremonies we have been reviewing the trusted
community representatives and I will talk a bit about the global policy
implementation that is about to happen and just one slide on NTIA
stewardship transition, I think you have heard a lot about that in a lot of
other venues.

So about the audits, this year we have ?? OK, so anyway, this year we have
conducted an audit, it's called a SysTrust audit of the IANA systems and the
functions that we do. This is the first time we have done that. And we
completed it and we have received our SOC 2 report, and if you are like me
and you haven't had anything to do with financial audits before or financial
auditors, they have names for different kinds of audits and reports that
they give you, one is called a SOC 2 and another is called a SOC 3. So the
SOC 2 gives you a very detailed analysis of their audit, and tells you areas
where you did well and areas you did less well and areas where you could
really improve a lot. So we received our SOC 2 and we are quite pleased.
We don't have a lot of areas where we have to improve a lot, we have met the
controls that were necessary.

This is a complementary audit to the ?? all these cameras ?? a complementary
audit to the SOC 3 audit that we have done for the last four years for
DNSSEC, so the controls for signing of the key have been audited for four
years, and those are SOC 3 reports and a SOC 3 report means that what do you
is you pass/fail; you don't get a very detailed audit about all the
controls, you just get a report that, yes, you succeeded. If you don't
succeed, you get no report at all. So happily, I can say that we have
received four reports, which means we have passed the SOC 3s.

So, performance reporting. The URL up there, if you go to it, will take you
to the performance reports that the IANA functions department posts. We
have several that we post. The one about the Internet ?? the IETF protocol
standards we have been posting since 2007, so there is a lot of those to
look at. Some of the others we have been incrementally adding, and I will
talk a little bit about those on another slide.

So, basically, what you see here is, we have got the portal, and these are
some of the key performance indicators. If you all remember we did a public
consultation not too long ago, and one of the things that we found out from
that public consultation about what kinds of things are important for
performance of the IANA functions, was timeliness and accuracy. So, we set
some targets for timeliness of responding to requests and accuracy, which is
always 100 percent, nobody wanted their requests to be inaccurate. So,
anyway, these are the reports and we post them monthly. The reports get
posted somewhere between the 15th and 20th of the month, so the one for
April should be going up quite soon.

So then we have a different kind of report, and this is what we call the
monthly audit report for the root zone changes. This is a report that lists
every single root zone change that was closed within the month, so I have
just highlighted three. Obviously we do more than three a month, but this
is what the report looks like if you were to go to that URL that was on the
first slide, which is IANA dot org/performance.

One of the things that has been taking a lot of our time and energy in the
last few months is the delegation of new gTLDs. Happily, it doesn't take as
much time as it does for a delegation of a ccTLD. So, we have delegated
over 220 new gTLDs since October, and we do about ten a week, give or take a
few, and it takes, on average, about ten days. Most of them take around,
well, we have on average would be ten, but most take usually around three to
four days, because the system is quite automated and that is great because
at one point some of the folks in the IANA department had estimated we would
need to hear 52 new people in order to do gTLD delegations. Happily, we
didn't have to increase the staff at all due to the automation that we put
in place.

Anyway, global policy. So, as you all heard in all the other presentations
this morning, you are about to hit the trigger that will give the IANA the
clue that we should give you the last IPv4 allocations out of the recovered
pool. So we have written a tool which is on?line, the URL is up here if you
want to go play with it and you can run this tool against the recovered pool
that exists today, to see what the allocations will look like once the
trigger is reached. We expect to get the word from someone, probably
LACNIC, before the end of May, that they have reached the less ?? the /9 or
less that they have to have, at which point we will start handing out of
this pool. And I think when we ran it a while back, the tool that is, we
ran the tool, it looked like there would be nine iterations of allocations
from the pool, because you ?? based on the formula, you do a certain equal
amount of allocations to every RIR until you run out, and it could be nine
iterations of that formula.

So basically, I won't even read anything that is up there but we have talked
about it in many other forums at this meeting. There was a announcement by
the department of commerce that they are looking for a proposal on how to
transition their role so that they are no longer engaged in the IANA
functions, and they had a public comment ?? we had a public comment, the
ICANN organisation, that public comment is closed but there is still ways to
contribute your ideas. So, if you'd like to contribute ideas, you can go to
this mailing list and send in your ideas about what the NTIA announcement
means, what the process should be, and any ideas you have on that. If you
want to see what other people have said, there is the public archives that
link is up there for you to go review all the comments and different
perspective, but, please, the whole point is to make your contributions and
make your ideas known.

And dziekuje. That means ?? I hope I said it right but it's supposed to
mean thank you, and if I didn't, that is what I am saying.

NICK HYRKA: Thank you. Any questions? You have a question.

AUDIENCE SPEAKER: Sandy Murphy, Parsons. You have ?? unfortunately, I got
an answer I hadn't expected to my previous question so I am going to ask you
something that came to mind. With respect to the NRO's communication with
ICANN, not IANA, about operation of the global root, do you have a view of
IANA's part in that process that you can talk about?

ELISE GERICH: So IANA is a department in ICANN and the NRO letter is
specifically to ICANN as was the IAB, and so RPKI is not an IANA function;
it would be an activity that, a technical activity that ICANN would do with
the NRO or each individual RIR, in this case, and on behalf of the IAB.


ELISE GERICH: Does that answer your question?

AUDIENCE SPEAKER: So you don't have a particular view of progress?

ELISE GERICH: Of progress?


ELISE GERICH: Speaking as an employee of ICANN, yes, I can say that we are
in discussions with all five RIRs on the implementation of a global Trust
Anchor and I concur with what Adiel said previously, there are some RIRs
that are not interested in participating in an RPKI test?bed for a GTA, RIPE
being one of them, and so we are continuing to have the discussions with all
five because we want to come up with a potential test?bed implementation
that would reflect what might become some day a production activity.

AUDIENCE SPEAKER: OK. That is clear, thanks.

ELISE GERICH: OK. And thank you all very much.

NICK HYRKA: And thank you again. That closes the roster of our NRO/RIR
reports for this morning. I want to thank you all for getting out of bed
and joining us, and thank you guys over here and I forgot to mention my name
is Nick Hyrka and I am the communications manager of the RIPE NCC and I look
forward to seeing you all at RIPE 69.

The next part of the session is a report from the RIPE Programme Committee
regarding their PC elections, so Andrei Robachevsky, the PC is here.

Andrei Robachevsky: I am a member of PC and well I am only to introduce the
session on PC elections because I am ? I am not an elected member, although
this is my last time on the PC. So we have two seats open for election, and
we have three contenders: It's Meredith whit tacker, João Damas and Jan
Zorz and we have some time now, well I hope you looked at the web page
there, bios there, so I hope you read that.

So, we have some time to introduce the candidates and I will give each
candidate a minute to introduce themselves. Unfortunately, Meredith and
João, they are not here in person but they agreed with their proxies,
trusted proxies to make those introductions, so why don't we start with
Meredith and whoever introduces her.

FILIZ YILMAZ: Thank you, and I am going to read the statement on behalf of
Meredith: "Hello RIPE community, right now, I am on a flight between
Frankfurt and New York, hurrying to attend a friend's wedding. I am sorry,
I am not here in person but I am here in spirit and I'd like to be more
involved in the future. I think the RIPE community is one of the few groups
capable of preserving an open, livable Internet. I care a lot about this
and I want to work with you towards this goal. Whether or not I am elected,
I want to help bring new communities into the fold, work on programmes and
meeting formats that productively engage with new perspective, and develop
ways of sharing actionable knowledge beyond the borders of the technical
world. And I want all of this to be really fun. In short, I think I am a
good candidate for the PC, I care a lot about the Internet, and I have a
track record of getting things done, not being a jerk and avoiding process
whenever it is not absolutely necessary. Thank you.

Andrei: Thank you, Meredith. And Filiz. Is there a proxy for João who can
say a few words?

SHANE KERR: I am proxying for João Damas. I am going to read a short
statement. He says: "First of all my apologies for not being here today
with you. Why dining contribute to the RIPE NCC and the plenary programme?
I am an engineer, I live in Europe and I am dedicated to the success of an
open Internet, and have been ever since I first got on the Internet. Due to
my work I travel around a bit and get to see what other people are doing and
can bring home and share other people's good ideas. In the past I have
participated in the RIPE PC and in fact there was a time when no one wanted
to do the job and I was all there was of the PC. Then people got interested
and started working with others until we got the PC we have today. I
decided to step down two years ago to let the system develop without too
much influence from the past. I am now rested and the PC has its own
personality. I think I can still contribute and would like to ask you to
let me do so."
So that was João's statement. I would like to shortly on his behalf, I have
worked with him for many years, he did in fact run the entire PC for seven
years by himself, I think he'd be an excellent candidate. That is all.

Andrei: Thank you Shane and thank you João. Our last candidate is Jan
Zorz. Would you like to say a few words about yourself?

JAN ZORZ: Thank you. So, my day job is at the Internet society, my night
job is at Go6 institute, I am still running it because I founded it. I have
been involved with this community for many, many years. I did some things
like, I have been involved in many things, and but especially I have been
involved with this Programme Committee for the last five meetings. My first
meeting at the PC was five meetings ago, that was meeting in Ljubljana where
I hosted it, and I have been enjoying very much doing this stuff, bringing
the good content from many parts of the world where I am travelling,
bringing new speakers, bringing good presentations to this plenary sessions,
and I would like to continue another term doing this. So, if you think I
did a good job and I should continue doing this, well, vote for me. Thank

ANDREI ROBACHEVSKY: Thank you, Jan. Well, here is the slides, so I think
right now, we are opening the voting and the the voting will continue until
11 o'clock, I believe, so here is the URL. I understand you have to sign in
with RIPE NCC connect account and you can also read again the bios of the
three candidates and, please, vote. I mean, your voting is very important,
and we hope the PC will be enhanced with new strong candidates. Thank you
very much.

So, yes, thank you, and please vote and have coffee and, are we finishing
this session? It's a coffee break.